I came, I saw and in all honesty i got conquered by Rome. I have contracted what has affectionately been dubbed as the black death.
The metro in Rome is mad, people were almost falling out of the train when the doors opened on the way to the Vatican. I had a near run with a pick pocket who was a short sleazy balding italian man tbat started rubbing his crotch against my leg. I looked down at him and gave him my staunchest look possible and so do my tour mate Josh. The guy promptly left at the next stop. Another of the guys wasn't so lucky and after losing his wife in Rome later that day without any money had his wallet pickpocketed on the very first train in the next day.
We made it to the Vatican with half an hour to spare so secretley i laughed at the 14 others who spent an extra 50 euro and got up at 5am to make sure they got there. That place is amazing all the ceilings had huge artworks all over it but nothing compared with the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I have no idea how he got up there, i'd seen pictures but i hadn't realised before that the pictures were only segments of what he painted there. It was definately the work of a lifetime and i'm glad i've seen it. Sorry no pics though as you're not allowed to in the Sistine Chapel.
After we went on a 10 -12k power walk which i was struggling with thanks to the black lung, I saw some huge building opposite where Mussolini used to fire up the Itais but was having trouble remembering details. After that we went on a forced march (only joking) to the Trevi fountain, I have never seen a fountain that big in my life it was awesome unfortunately there were a ton of tourists (aren't there always?) and I didn't really get a good shot of it and couldn't squish up the front to make a wish (here's hoping I'm lucky enough). After that me and the other really sick guy plonked down in a doorway and got a couple of tips, people must have thought we were lepers or something. I gave up on the walk at this point coz i couldn't breathe due to the heat, the sickness and the sheer weight of people. So i did like most other itais and walked a couple of the girls to get some gelati and then sat in front of the spanish steps for and hour and half just chatting people, watching and eating gelati.
I spent the next day in bed recovering and ended up sleeping from 8.30 that night till 11.30 the next day. Am now feeling well recovered.
On the way to Corfu (or the Fu) we stopped off at Pompeii and did a flying tour of it, about an hour although i could have spent the day there just wandering around. If you ever get the chance and can spend more than an hour there don't miss it for anything. They had bodies that they managed to create molds off and recreate or some process like that, actually it might be the other way round. There are frescoes that you can still see and greek and roman mosaics.
After Pompeii we headed to "Sleazy Brindisi", not sure why its sleazy and i didn't get a chance to find out as we headed straight for the port and boarded the overnight ferry to Corfu. The trip itself was rather uneventful except for the cabins which was like sleeping in a sauna, i think i know what prisoners/sailors feel like.
Arrived this morning in Corfu all i have to say is I love Greece. Wandered through Corfu town this morning and bought a beach towel so i was all ready for the arvo. Tried some of the local cuisine, a gyro and those things can be addictive. After we all caught up again we headed back to our hotel. We're spending the next three days with another contiki group that we meet back in Paris and they're staying in the hotel at the bottom of the hill, so theres approximately 60 of us to party it up in greece. Our group got the appartments at the top of the hill that are only 2 to a room and has a pool and bar of course! Spent the day in the sun, getting pissed, chatting and doing my best to see if I really can pull off being a maori, starting to get quite brown and its only been day 1. George's boat and Toga party tomorrow so I think they'll be rolling us down the gangplank in order to get us to the party tomorrow, this feels reminiscent to the christmas party!
Yammas (cheers)
Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment